On Saturday night, while we were enjoying our Paella Party, there was another spectacular event taking place in Cincinnati - Diner en Blanc. It began over 25 years ago in Paris and now occurs throughout the world. So what exactly is it? Well…
Le Dîner en Blanc® is quite different from other special events. The evening takes place in a public place which was not designed for such a purpose and is often crowded.
- Seats are allotted on-site in a very specific manner.
- In order to participate, one must be invited by a participant from the previous year or get on the official website’s waiting list.
- Once confirmed, the presence of each guest thus becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions, as the event is held regardless of weather conditions.
- Colour of attire and table setting: white only.
- Table seating is symmetrical with men seated on one side and women on the other.
- Participants arrive and depart at the same time by chartered bus or organized public transportation.
- Depart with one’s belongings, leftovers and trash, leaving the place as clean as it was upon arrival.
What must guests bring?
- A table, two (white) chairs.
- A picnic basket comprised of quality menu items and a china dinner service including proper stemware and flatware.
- Wine or Champagne, if allowed. Beer and hard alcohol is prohibited.
- Participants must wear white and be dressed elegantly.
- Originality is encouraged as long as it stays stylish and denotes taste.